I've been doing some hair make-overs recently, so here's my experience... Archived Message
Posted by Lynne D on January 7, 2021, 8:22 pm, in reply to "Hairspray Recommendation for a Gene Makeover? >>>"
I remembered reading in an old doll magazine once not to use human hairspray on doll hair, but to use spray meant for synthetic wigs. I found a Revlon wig spray but it was pretty useless. Thinking I had nothing to lose, I bought the human hairspray generally rated best, Ellnett. It really is a great product! |
The backstory is amusing. This hairspray for the longest time was only available in Europe. Back in the day when we could carry whatever we wanted on airplanes, American women would hit the airport pharmacies in Paris or London, and fill their carry-ons with cannisters of Ellnett. When legalities got straightened out and Ellnett became available here, stores couldn't keep it on the shelf. Now you can find it most places that sell hair styling products. It has a very fine aerosol mist. Part of the legal wrangle was over changing to a propellant that was less harmful to the ozone.
I've tried massaging various different gels into a clump of doll hair, hoping to be able to "sculpt" it into submission, and only succeeded in creating a sticky mess. Now I only use a little gel mostly as a glue on random flyaways. I've tried 4 different gels, and they all seem to be similar to me, so I'm guessing whatever you'd buy at a drugstore would be fine.
- Hairspray Recommendation for a Gene Makeover? >>> - veejtee January 7, 2021, 1:09 pm
- Thanks for asking this!< - Jinky January 8, 2021, 11:31 pm
- Thanks for your advice, everyone ... I appreciate your input! ... Cheers! - veejtee January 8, 2021, 7:55 am
- I've used Suave hairspray to set all my dolls' hairstyles. I would spray and then use... - RyeGuy January 8, 2021, 12:03 am
- I heard pantene works well, and ave used it myself,but - Cynthia in PA January 7, 2021, 10:50 pm
- I've been doing some hair make-overs recently, so here's my experience... - Lynne D January 7, 2021, 8:22 pm
- Ooops posted too soon! Lol... anyway, is there a specific type or hold you use? Thanks!< - Jinky January 8, 2021, 11:29 pm
- Evidently Elnett is made by L'Oreal from what I can gather. - Jinky January 8, 2021, 11:27 pm
- Great information, thanks Lynne! <<< - Michael in FtW January 7, 2021, 9:06 pm
- Thanks for the info, Lynne ... I'll try to find some Ellnett - veejtee January 7, 2021, 8:40 pm