- James Henry Avery was a tackle-maker and toy seller in Redditch, England. He and his wife Jane emigrated to Canada in 1888 when he was 30, and he became a salesman for ALW. In 1894, he and two English partners,Samuel Thomas and William M. James (who both lived in England) formed 'Thomas, James and Avery', selling wholesale fishing tackle at 64 Bay St. It only lasted a year and James went out on his own, as a 'manufacturer's agent' for 'James Avery & Son', his father's English company (James Henry was actually the 'son' in 'James Avery & Son') His office was located in the Manchester Building, unit 17, at 29 Melinda St. This lasted part-way through 1900, when he saw the writing on the wall and instead became a managing director for the Toronto-based Shipe Mfg. Co. In 1901 he moved his family to Clarksburg (near Collingwood) to work at the satellite facility of Shipe Mfg. Co. One year later, the facility was closed down and he moved to Detroit, Michigan to become a wholesale cigar salesman. In 1932, he died at age 73.
Of note - future tackle-maker Andrew Wight, who would later move to Cedar Isle Lodge at Trent River, was a salesman for Thomas,James & Avery.
« Back to index