You'll get no argument from me about the "Numbers" Game, but I can...>>> Archived Message
Posted by T.J. in S.F. on January 20, 2012, 5:52 am, in reply to "Applesauce!!! Horsefeathers, I say >>"
...Believe some of these stated sizes in general. I believe the measurement are taken -after- they've gotten into their foundation garments. It is only then that anything custom can be designed for each Actress. |
It's funny to me that all these Scientists and Speculators of vintage fashion that study these things never say definitively that the waist measurements from the mid 20th century are a direct result of a foundation garment!! You'll hear them say, instead, that it "Most likely" was a result. Well isn't it obvious?
I know a little about this topic as I have over 40 corsets for my personal costuming for performing on stage. A "well fit" corset will take you down 2 sizes, although, you can go tighter. The line is lost on a good fit. So if you're 30 waist you'll get a size 28 corset.
When I started to wear them I could actually fit into a size 28 corset. Which I think is pretty small for my height. Madonna wears a size 26 corset. I think she's pretty small. My point is, that if I could (past tense) squeeze into a size 28 at the best of times, then surely Sofia Loren and Ava and Marilyn and Rita can easily pull off a size 24 corset on a bad day - which out of the corset will give them a comfy natural 26" waistline!
In the 1950's the average Woman's waist size was 27.5" with a hip measurement of 39"
What really cemented by belief in such measurements was my visit to "The Hollywood Museum" in which I had an opportunity to actually see how small Marilyn actually was in those famous garments. What a study!
Here's one of Marilyn's Braziers recently revealed and sold at auction in London that is responsible for enhancing her 36D's. In it you'll find an almost hidden Double Cup and the obvious strap system going on. The hidden inner cups will support her chest as normal with the additional larger set of cups which are about an inch further out, to give the illusion that she had a fuller bust. Brilliant! A Wonderbra precursor! Nothin' new here...Am I right Ladies? ...
- Looks like Tonner is doing Marilyn Monroe for their convention. There is a video they released >> - Mike January 19, 2012, 3:45 pm
- I was hoping it'd be someone like Jane Russell---I am not - kathy L January 20, 2012, 12:55 pm
- I can't say doing Marilyn is very inspired. It's like "another Marliyn doll"...yawn. - Meg in OR January 19, 2012, 8:45 pm
- MsMarvel looks great in BettyAnn's gown. Does it do up in the back? - Jan in Mb January 19, 2012, 6:16 pm
- If the rumors of Franklin Mint stopping production of dolls is true (doll nudity)...... - Steve C. January 19, 2012, 6:05 pm
- Good sleuthing Mike! That's quite good detective work << - VeraS January 19, 2012, 5:17 pm
- It could be......this year it is fiftie years ago she died.... - Jurrie January 19, 2012, 5:08 pm
- Now that's what you call a good ole' fashioned "Scoop"! Thanks Michael, always the Fashion Sleuth! - T.J. in S.F. January 19, 2012, 3:52 pm